Happy International Women’s Day 2022! I’m so incredibly proud to be a part of the Data Literacy movement, whose purpose is to help people everywhere speak the language of data.
Did you know? This movement was FOUNDED by women and is currently being LED by women. These and many more talented, devoted women breathe life into this cause day in and day out with their commitment to help others, with their contributions, and with their creativity.
There would be NO data literacy movement without these and many other women who have sacrificed so much and put so much of themselves into helping people get past their “dataphobia.”
Give them a follow, read their work, spread the word about what they’re doing:
- Valerie A. Logan and her company, The Data Lodge
- Jane Crofts and her organization, Data To The People
- Becky Jones (also the amazing Megan Hanno!!) and their (and my) company, Data Literacy
- Sarah Nell-Rodriquez, 2022 Data Literacy Co-Advocate of the Year, and the site she co-runs, Be Data Lit
- Chantilly Jaggernauth and her program, Millennials and Data
- Courtney Totten and her Tableau Academic team
- Kimberly M. Herrington ★, 2021 Data Literacy Advocate of the Year
- Anna-Maria Steverson, Data Literacy trainer, Content Analytics Manager at Netflix, and author of the blog series, “Working with Data Professionals (when you aren’t one!)“
- Kate Strachnyi, her company DATAcated, and her book Data Literacy for Kids (co-authored with Jordan Morrow)
- Alli Torban, her Data Viz Today Podcast, her data freelancer membership community Elevate Data Viz, and her Data Literacy Comic series on the Data Literacy Blog (as well as other helpful tutorials and explainers)
I can also mention so many others like Anna Foard, Susan Metzger Gracia, Susan Walsh – The Classification Guru, the amazingly talented women on my company’s advisory board – authors, trainers, journalists, professors, coaches, Pulitzer Prize winners.
We’re all very lucky to be in the presence of their greatness, and I can’t wait to see where they take this movement next!