- Sort by Price
Growing in data literacy is one of the most strategic development paths we can embark upon. In this course you’ll learn about the 17 Key Traits that highly data literate individuals possess. As you progress through the course, you’ll complete a self-assessment by scoring your level of proficiency in each trait and its importance to your own success in the near future. We provide an interactive worksheet that you can use to enter your scores and see where each trait falls on a two-by-two grid. Use the results of your self-assessment to identify your strengths and most significant data learning opportunities in the year ahead. In just over an hour, you’ll learn the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors of highly data literate individuals and will be able to customize your own data literacy learning journey based on your self-assessment results. Consider purchasing along with Data Literacy Fundamentals, Data Literacy Level 1, or Data Literacy Level 2. With any purchase of two or more products, a 10% discount will automatically be applied to your cart at checkout (please note, this does not apply in conjunction with other promo codes). Check out our full lineup of offerings in our store. Interested in team pricing? Inquire here. You can also buy this course as a gift for someone else.
ChatGPT Basics was developed by Ben Jones, Data Literacy CEO and Professor of Data Visualization Theory at The University of Washington’s Foster School of Business. In this course, you'll learn:
- The history of OpenAI’s ChatGPT - What led to its rise, how it took the world by storm, and how tech giants like Google and Meta have responded.
- The technologies that ChatGPT is based on, for a better understanding of what’s happening “under the hood” and why it responds the way it does.
- The ethical and practical problems that have surfaced with this new technology, along with examples of how ChatGPT’s responses have gone awry.
- How to get started setting up an account and the different places you can interact with ChatGPT.
- A four-step process for creating an effective prompt.
Whether your background is in the data field or something completely unrelated, it can be challenging to know how to set up your organization’s data efforts for success. Much of that success starts with the people you have working on these efforts. Hiring the right data professionals for the right data job is step one. Then it’s a matter of onboarding them, managing them, and assessing their performance. For those not directly responsible for the team, how to successfully partner with these professionals to achieve your organizations data goals is of critical importance as well. In this course, you will learn how to effectively hire, manage, and optimize your working relationship with data professionals to leverage the talents of data professionals and drive impactful organizational change. By the end you'll have learned:
- What Do Data Professionals Do?: A brief overview of different types of data work and the data skills needed to perform them.
- How to Hire a Data Professional: Advice on how to hire someone who has the data skills needed to do the types of data work your organization needs.
- Managing a Team of Data Professionals: High-level methods and approaches for leading a team of data professionals.
- Measuring the Performance of Data Professionals: How to track whether or not your data professionals are performing well.
- Up-Leveling Your Partnership with Data Professionals: Best practices for getting the most out of your partnership with the data professionals in your organization.
Learn the language of data with Data Literacy Fundamentals: Understanding the Power & Value of Data. In this course you will lay a firm foundation in Data Literacy by putting in place 8 building blocks of understanding that will help you grasp what data is, how it’s used, and ways to think about incorporating it into different areas of your life and career. Data literacy is a non-negotiable skill in today's world. It's no longer just for Data Scientists. Every role and every department benefits from data fluency. Go beyond joining the conversation and jump right into the driver's seat, grow in wisdom and feel more confident working with data. No prior experience or skills required. This course was built with all experience levels in mind. Data Literacy Fundamentals was developed by Ben Jones, Data Literacy CEO and Professor of Data Visualization Theory at The University of Washington’s Foster School of Business. By the end you’ll have learned:
- The 1 Overall Goal of Data
- The 2 Systems of human thinking involved
- The 3 Areas of life where data matters
- The 4 Different data scale types
- The 5 Forms of data analysis
- The 6 Ways of displaying data
- The 7 Groups of data activities teams carry out
- The 8 Questions to ask your data upfront
Do you ever look at a graph or chart and feel stumped on where to start? Sure, you see the information it’s conveying, but are you interpreting it correctly and growing in wisdom? Do you understand how certain basic building blocks of graphical displays such as marks and encoding channels may be influencing your interpretation? Take your visual data literacy skills to the next level with Data Literacy Level 1: Learning to See Data. This course is for anyone who finds themselves needing to read and interpret graphical displays of data – charts, maps, and dashboards – on a regular basis. Many of us encounter such data visualizations at work and at home, and few of us were trained to make sense of them. This course will turn you into a fluent chart reader by teaching you the visual language of data. Data Literacy Level 1 was developed by Ben Jones, Data Literacy CEO and Professor of Data Visualization Theory at The University of Washington’s Foster School of Business. By the end you’ll have learned:
- How data is converted to graphical marks with visual encodings
- Principles to help you evaluate the effectiveness of charts
- The 25 most common chart types that everyone should know
- 16 helpful chart reading tips to use when breaking down a chart
- Critical scenarios like change over time and part-to-whole
- What pitfalls to avoid when interpreting visual displays of data
Have you ever felt lost in a sea of data? Many people today rush to apply very powerful data-working tools, or they just dive right into their data without giving much thought to what’s below the surface. In this course, you’ll learn a step-by-step process that will help you work effectively with data. The process is called The WISDOM Data-Working Flow, and you can use it with any data set, any software tool or programming language, any question that you’d like answered, and any decision that you’d like to turn into a data-informed decision. The emphasis is on applying data to real-world questions, and on identifying the many shortcomings in data that people often miss in their haste to use whatever data they have. Learning this process will help you avoid many of the most common mistakes, and it will give you a framework to apply, along with helpful pointers at every step along the way. Along with mastering the Wisdom Data-Working Flow, you'll gain access to over 25 detailed tutorials that will teach you how to use tools such as Tableau, MS Power Query Editor, MS Power BI, R Studio, SQL, Excel, and more! Data Literacy Level 2 was developed by Ben Jones, Data Literacy CEO and Professor of Data Visualization Theory at The University of Washington’s Foster School of Business. Not feeling ready for Level 2 just yet? Consider purchasing along with the first two courses in our Core Data Literacy Series, Data Literacy Fundamentals and Data Literacy Level 1. With any purchase of two or more products, a 10% discount will automatically be applied to your cart at checkout (please note, this does not apply in conjunction with other promo codes). Check out our full lineup of offerings in our store. Interested in team pricing? Inquire here. You can also buy this course as a gift for someone else.
In a data-driven world, effective leadership requires a deep understanding of the role of data, not only in decision-making, but also in shaping organizations' structure, culture, and ethics. With our unique course, "Data Literacy for Leaders", we are taking a significant step to bridge the gap between leadership and data. This comprehensive course is designed to help leaders, executives, and managers adapt and flourish in the data-dense corporate landscape. It underlines seven core aspects of data leadership - Ethics, Purpose, Data, Technology, People, Process, and Culture. Each aspect features seven guiding principles, meticulously curated to enable leaders to efficiently navigate through the complexities of data-centric environments. Course Highlights:
- Ethics: Understanding the moral implications of data usage and privacy, this module emphasizes ethical decision-making and data governance in the digital age.
- Purpose: Learn to articulate and align the organizational purpose with data strategy to drive consistent value and growth.
- Data: Delve into the depths of data understanding, interpretation, visualization, and storytelling, to improve decision-making and problem-solving.
- Technology: Get to grips with the latest data technologies, tools, and platforms that are revolutionizing the business landscape.
- People: Know how to empower your team with data skills, fostering a learning culture that embraces data-driven decision making.
- Process: Master the art of integrating data into your business processes and strategy, thus ensuring organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Culture: Shape a resilient data culture that fosters curiosity, innovation, and inclusivity, creating an environment where data can truly thrive.